[ckan-dev] Commenting alternatives to Disqus?

David Megginson david.megginson at megginson.com
Fri Apr 25 18:14:42 UTC 2014

I think data.gov, data.gc.ca, and their Mexican and Indian counterparts
tend to work closely together and share tasks — it might be worth
approaching them as a group.

Or, OTOH, one of us could just hole up in a room with a lot of tea and
chocolate for a day and write the damned thing (or at least its MVP). :-)

David

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 10:08 AM, Ross Jones <ross at servercode.co.uk> wrote:

> [...]
>
>> The more time I spend thinking about it, the more I think the extension
>> route is probably the best one.  I get nervous about the number of
>> extensions that users end up having to install (for things I think should
>> be core extensions, shipped by default with CKAN) but in this case it is a
>> serious enough chunk of functionality that it would make sense.
>>
>> Searching had totally slipped my mind wrt comments although I had added a
>> new idea to the ideas+roadmap repo at
>> https://github.com/ckan/ideas-and-roadmap/issues/46 with a related
>> feature (making more things searchable).
>>
>> As I mentioned previously, I’d made a start on ckanext-comments, but it
>> isn’t production ready and still has a lot of rough edges, but I think the
>> underlying concept (the comment thread is found based on a URL) is correct,
>> and I’d suggest it might make a reasonable starting once it’s had a
>> v.thorough review.
>>
>> Which other large CKAN instances is it worth approaching (other than
>> data.gov.uk) to see if there is interest?
>>
>> Ross
>>

>> On 22 Apr 2014, at 21:00, David Megginson <david.megginson at megginson.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks, Ross — that's a well thought-out list.
>>
>> A lot of it hinges on your first question: "Standalone isso type
>> service, or standard CKAN extension?"  In other words, are comments
>> first-class entities in CKAN itself?
>>
>> My preference is for the extension — as much fun as it is to build
>> separate, standalone things, integrating comments right into CKAN brings
>> some significant benefits:
>>
>>    - Comments can easily be search-indexed externally (e.g. Google) or
>>    internally (e.g. Solr).
>>    - Comments can appear in the activity stream or email/RSS
>>    notification feed associated with a dataset, user, etc.
>>    - Comments can be combined with ratings (which already have API
>>    support).
>>    - Comments can easily use CKAN auth/auth.
>>    - One less @#$%#@ app to install and manage.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>

>> Cheers, David
>>

>> On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 6:58 AM, Ross Jones <ross at servercode.co.uk>wrote:
>>

>>> I’ve asked a few people about funding, and it looks like there is the
>>> possibility of at least part-funding this work.  By part-funding I mean >
>>>  50%, probably more depending on solution. As David pointed out, it seems
>>> realistic that others would find this of benefit enough to contribute to
>>> the development costs.  I’d imagine that engagement would be a rather
>>> import KPI for some portals, and it seems rather inelegant to rely on the
>>> current solution of expecting users to have yet another login at another
>>> 3rd party service.
>>>
>>> In order to obtain the funding, it’ll be necessary though to map out
>>> what CKAN commenting would consist of.  Answering questions like:
>>>
>>> 1. Standalone isso type service, or standard CKAN extension?
>>> 2. Is there a moderation queue with mollom/akismet integration for spam?
>>> 3. How is CKAN auth/auth integrated? How will solutions that use mixed
>>> auth be able to use comments? (for instance if auth is done through Drupal
>>> or WordPress).
>>> 4. Can existing comments be migrated from disqus to new solution?
>>> 5. Will it just be for datasets, or related-items, resources, and others?
>>> 6. Should it be threaded?