[ckan-dev] Current state of Vagrant-provisioned CKAN source installs?

Bruce Crevensten becrevensten at alaska.edu
Tue Dec 16 21:28:39 UTC 2014

Hi!  Our (small) team is happy to be moving our data distribution over to
CKAN, and while we've gotten to a good starting point with the base
install, we're now moving on to doing custom development to better meet our
goals.

Our preferred dev/deploy environment is to do local dev instances via
Vagrant, keep our customizations in a Git repo and then deploy our
customizations to production from Git.

I'm aware of several Github projects that use Vagrant with either Chef or
Puppet to automate local development builds, but alas, none of them have
worked out-of-the-box yet for me.

I'm wondering if I'm missing something simple or obvious -- or, if instead
it's preferred to examine using Docker as a convenient way to have a local
development instance.

Guidance would be appreciated, and thanks to everyone for the ongoing great
work on this grand tool.

--
*Bruce Crevensten*

*Senior Software Engineer*
(SNAP) Scenarios Network for Alaska & Arctic Planning
www.snap.uaf.edu