[ckan-dev] Editing harvested resources in CKAN

Adrià Mercader adria.mercader at okfn.org
Thu Dec 18 10:43:34 UTC 2014

Hi Bruce,

The general use case for harvested metadata is treating it as read
only in CKAN to keep it in sync with the authoritative source.
Having said that, as Stefan mentions harvesters can be extended to
modify how they create or update datasets in CKAN

On 17 December 2014 at 22:57, Bruce Crevensten <becrevensten at alaska.edu> wrote:
> We want the best of both worlds: using XML metadata to inform the CKAN
> records without doing double data entry, but we also want to add additional
> resources to the CKAN records.

You might want to have a look at this example on how to extend the
spatial harvester from your extension to add extra fields:

http://docs.ckan.org/projects/ckanext-spatial/en/latest/harvesters.html#customizing-the-harvesters

> We've also considered using a standalone XML editor like 52 North's, but
> then there's some questions about whether we could "harvest" from a file in
> order to get some of the spatial metadata consumed as though it came from a
> harvested resource.

Not sure I completely follow, but if you mean editing standalone XML
files and being able to harvest them, you could use the WAF (Web
Accessible Folder) harvester to pull the files from some folder.

Adrià