[ckan-dev] Adding custom metadata fields

Athos Georgiou ag242 at st-andrews.ac.uk
Mon Jan 6 15:58:32 UTC 2014

Hello,

Over the past few weeks I have been trying to find extensions to allow the addition of custom metadata fields in CKAN. One I have found is explaining how to create the extension itself which is then pushed to git and then installed on our CKAN Server. (OKFN How-to-Add-Custom-Fields-to-CKAN-2.0)

My main issue is at the instructions below:

Modify the setup.py file in your top-level directory. Under where it says Add Plugins here, uncomment and update:

[ckan.plugins]

# Add plugins here, eg

MYEXTENSION=ckanext.MYEXTENSION.plugin:YOURPLUGIN

"""

Replace MYEXTENSION with the exact same value as your MYEXTENSION directory name from above. Replace YOURPLUGIN with the name of the plugin class inside plugin.py, e.g.

usmetadata=ckanext.usmetadata.plugin:USMetadataPlugin

I can't seem to find the line in my plugin.py file which shows the name of the plugin class. In other words...So, I'm not sure what goes into the "YOURPLUGIN" field.

Also, is there any other supported extension that can be installed in fewer steps?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you,

Athos Georgiou
Application Developer - Research Computing
IT Services, University of St Andrews, St Andrews, Fife, KY16 9AL
Tel: 01334 4644731   E-mail: ag242 at st-andrews.ac.uk<mailto:ag242 at st-andrews.ac.uk>

The University of St Andrews is a charity registered in Scotland (No SC013532)