[ckan-dev] Schema.org extension

Ross Jones ross at servercode.co.uk
Tue Jun 10 10:37:06 UTC 2014

Hi,

As part of leedsdatamill (leedsdatamill.org) I’ve started working on a schema.org extension that implements the Dataset and Organization schema for a given CKAN instance. It’s currently incomplete (there is no Catalog) and it embeds the schema in the page via template snippets (as a script with type=‘application/ls+json) for organizations and datasets. I’ve been led to believe that this is an acceptable way of making the schema.org info available, but attempts at clarification have failed.

 I was wondering if it might be something that someone might consider contributing to? It’s a ridiculously tiny amount of the code at the moment, and relies on you having your own theme installed (so you can easily modify the templates) but I think it could probably be handled in a better way?  I’m expecting that the catalog may need to be generated nightly if you have a lot of datasets, so that will need to be decided.

Why bother? Well, it gives a JSON/LD version of the dataset/organization which should help for people wanting easy linked-data versions of the metadata, once the catalog is there it’ll help with harvesting, and also it will ‘allegedly’ give better results in google and bing.

The ‘code’ is at https://bitbucket.org/leedsdatamill/ckanext-schemadotorg, and we’ve currently deployed it to staging, so you should be able to see the output in the source at http://staging.leedsdatamill.org/organization/leedscitycouncil and http://staging.leedsdatamill.org/dataset/historic-roadworks

Cheers

Ross.