[ckan-dev] organizing ckan extensions in github

Vitor Baptista vitor at vitorbaptista.com
Mon Jun 9 23:54:54 UTC 2014

Hi Pabitra,

I'd rather have a separate repository for each extension. In my opinion,
this keeps it more organized, and also allow people to install them using
pip. To make it easier for other people to find the extensions I would
create them all using some pattern for the name (e.g. ckanext-*), and maybe
think about writing them in a separate organization.

Cheers,

> Hi All,
>
> I know it is more of a GitHub question rather than ckan. We intend to
> develop about 40 ckan extensions which are very specific to our instance of
> ckan. I am not sure if it is better to create a separate gthub repo for
> each of these extensions or create one repo and organize all extensions
> with some kind of folder structure within that single repo. Would like to
> know from anyone who has been involved in developing multiple ckan
> extensions on how they have organized their code in github.
>
> Thanks,
> Pabitra
> Utah State University
> Logan UT, USA