[ckan-dev] Starting the datapusher fails with Exception about missing pysqlite2

Johann Höchtl johann.hoechtl at gmail.com
Thu May 8 14:11:38 UTC 2014

Hi,

I installed the datapusher as a mixture of the development install and
the production install as described in

https://github.com/the42/ckan-virtualisation/blob/master/doc/datapusher.md

However, when I try to run it, it fails with an Exception

-:[/usr/lib/ckan/datapusher/src/datapusher]$> python wsgi.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "wsgi.py", line 7, in <module>
     web.configure()
   File
"/usr/lib/ckan/datapusher/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ckanserviceprovider/web.py",
line 65, in configure
     db.setup_db(app)
   File
"/usr/lib/ckan/datapusher/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ckanserviceprovider/db.py",
line 17, in setup_db
     convert_unicode=True)
   File
"/usr/lib/ckan/datapusher/lib/python2.7/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/__init__.py",
line 344, in create_engine
     return strategy.create(*args, **kwargs)
   File
"/usr/lib/ckan/datapusher/lib/python2.7/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/strategies.py",
line 73, in create
     dbapi = dialect_cls.dbapi(**dbapi_args)
   File
"/usr/lib/ckan/datapusher/lib/python2.7/site-packages/sqlalchemy/dialects/sqlite/pysqlite.py",
line 297, in dbapi
     raise e
ImportError: No module named pysqlite2

==> ImportError: No module named pysqlite2

I have no ownership about the machine this is running (Gentoo box). My
assumption is, that a site-package is missing. However

pip install -r requirements.txt
pip install -e .

ran without issues. I also wonder why sqlalchemy is trying to
instantiate sqlite altogether when I thought it should use postgresql?

Thank you, Johann