[ckan-dev] Migrating CKan

Vitor Baptista vitor at vitorbaptista.com
Fri May 9 22:47:14 UTC 2014

Hi Andrew,

Are you migration between different CKAN versions? If not, migrating the DB
is relatively easy: just use the regular dump and restore. Then you need to
get the uploaded files. If you're using S3 or some other cloud storage,
there's no work to be done (just make sure you're using the same INI file).
If you're using a local file storage, you'll need to check where it's
located (look for ofs.storage_dir and ckan.storage_path at the .ini file),
and copy that to the new machine.

After you do both, you should be able to run it on the new machine.

Cheers,

> Hello!
>
> First time posting to this list. I’m in the process of inheriting a CKan
> installation at the University of Lincoln which I am hoping to put to use
> as part of my role as Information Systems Developer. Part of this will
> involve migrating the install from a RackSpace server to a server within
> the University network.
>
> I’ve gone through the process of setting up a new CKan install, however I
> don’t really know how’s best to migrate existing data across. If anyone
> else has done this, would they be able to advise?
>
> All the best,
> Andrew Beeken
>
> Research Information Systems Developer
> University of Lincoln
>
> The University of Lincoln, located in the heart of the city of Lincoln,
> has established an international reputation based on high student
> satisfaction, excellent graduate employment and world-class research.
>
> The information in this e-mail and any attachments may be confidential. If
> you have received this email in error please notify the sender immediately
> and remove it from your system. Do not disclose the contents to another
> person or take copies.
>
> Email is not secure and may contain viruses. The University of Lincoln
> makes every effort to ensure email is sent without viruses, but cannot
> guarantee this and recommends recipients take appropriate precautions.
>
> The University may monitor email traffic data and content in accordance
> with its policies and English law. Further information can be found at:
> http://www.lincoln.ac.uk/legal.

Vítor Baptista

Developer  |  http://vitorbaptista.com |
LinkedIn<http://www.linkedin.com/in/vitorbaptista>|