[ckan-dev] DataPusher and CKAN Service Provider releases

Sean Hammond sean.hammond at okfn.org
Thu Nov 20 14:03:13 UTC 2014

Just a note to say that DataPusher [1] and CKAN Service Provider [2] now
have versioned releases.

Previously these both used a master branch for the unstable development
version and a stable branch for the production version. This scheme
doesn't really allow us to evolve the packages (for example we can't say
that DataPusher 0.0.0 is the version that works with CKAN 2.0-2.2, but
0.0.1 is the version that works with CKAN 2.3). We need to do actual
versioned releases.

Each release will be both pushed to PyPI and and tagged on GitHub, as
documented in the README files.

They each currently have just one 0.0.1 release that *should* work with
CKAN 2.0-2.2 (the DataPusher API hasn't changed), though I haven't
tested it.

The stable branches of each are still on GitHub so for example CKAN
packaging tools [3] that depend on them can still use them without
changes. In the future these tools should be fixed to use the 0.0.1
releases though (or if necessary we can release the current heads of the
stable branches as 0.0.0 releases) and the stable branches should be
deleted.

DataPusher's dependency on CKAN Service Provider can now be managed in
the same way that you would manage any other Python dependency. To
upgrade datapusher to a new version of ckanserviceprovider:

- Publish the new version of ckanserviceprovider to pypi with a new
  version number

- Update the version number for the ckanserviceprovider dependency in
  datapusher's requirements.txt

- Run the datapusher's tests, fix anything that broke

- Push the requirements.txt change and any other changes to datapusher's
  master branch, the changes will get into the next datapusher release

[1]: https://github.com/ckan/datapusher
[2]: https://github.com/ckan/datapusher
[3]: https://github.com/ckan/ckan-packaging

--