[ckan-dev] Setuptools fails to install template folders?

Florian May florian.wendelin.mayer at gmail.com
Fri Nov 28 09:49:45 UTC 2014

Hi all,

not sure whether this is the right place to ask - apologies if it's not.
Did anyone run into this problem, or could point me into the right
direction:

In different plugins, e.g. https://github.com/open-data/ckanext-scheming,
setuptools won't copy the extension's templates folder into the installed
egg, which makes CKAN stumble over the non-existing templates.

To reproduce:

CKAN source install (master)
With CKAN's virtualenv activated:
git clone the plugin into /usr/lib/default/ckan/src
setuptools-install the plugin (python setup.py install)
This will copy the plugin into e.g.
/url/lib/ckan/default/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ckanext_scheming-0.0.1-py2.7.egg/ckanext/scheming
However, the templates and in another plugin, another folder with js/css
are missing.

This is strange - setup.py specifies
    packages=find_packages(exclude=['ez_setup', 'examples', 'tests']),
    namespace_packages=['ckanext', 'ckanext.scheming'],
    include_package_data=True,
which should discover and copy all files inside the source directory - only
it doesn't copy the templates/ folders...

Manually copying the missing folders from the plugin's source to the
installed egg folder fixes the problem. Since I found this in two separate
plugins, and other plugins work with basically identical setup.pys it's
likely I'm doing something wrong (although with identical installation
procedures).
Could anyone shed some light on this?

Cheers,
Florian