[ckan-dev] Featured groups and Organisations

Brook Elgie brook.elgie at okfn.org
Thu Nov 13 09:37:59 UTC 2014

Hi Aaron

On 13 November 2014 03:11, Aaron McGlinchy <
McGlinchyA at landcareresearch.co.nz> wrote:

> The documentation says that "This setting is used to display a group and
> datasets on the home page in the default templates (1 group and 2 datasets
> are displayed)."  But we are having way more than 2 datasets featured.

This was a bug introduced in 2.2, I'm afraid [1]. The good news is that
it's been fixed in the upcoming 2.3 release, which is what the latest
documentation refers to. Datasets will be limited to 2.

However I assumed (apparently incorrectly) that if you did not specify a
> value that a random organisation and group would be featured.  The
> organisation and group featured on our home screen haven't been changing,
> so I think it must just use the first created organisation and first
> created group - is that the case?

If a group/org isn't specified in the config, the first group/org is chosen
alphabetically by its name. So 'a-great-group' would be chosen over
'my-group'.

> If so, I think it would be more useful if not specified then it is
> randomly selected, otherwise to get some variety on what's displayed I have
> to be continually changing the config file settings 'under the hood' (one
> step up on this would be in the Sysadmin config  setting in the UI to be
> able to specify which group(s) and organisation(s)). [if I understand
> correctly I may suggest this 'tweak' for the roadmap]

Beyond specifying a group/organization in the config, there is little
control over how featured groups/orgs and their datasets appear on the home
page. Feel free to submit suggestions for how this can be improved to the
ideas-and-roadmap [2].

> Meantime, can I just check - I have an organisation called "Aarons
> Organisation", its part of the URL ckan assigns is "aarons-organisaion".  I
> presume to specify that organisation to be featured I would add
>
> ckan.featured_orgs = aarons-organistation

Correct. You don't need to substitute the dash for an underscore.

Thanks,

Brook

[1] https://github.com/ckan/ckan/issues/1569
[2] https://github.com/ckan/ideas-and-roadmap/issues