[ckan-dev] Deploy CKAN on shared web server

Stefan Oderbolz stefan.oderbolz at liip.ch
Fri Nov 14 10:28:42 UTC 2014

Hi Jean Brice,

I understand your goal and think it should be possible to host yourself.
But you need probably a little bit more than just a webspace that everyone
can register. You should look for hosting where you have shell access to
install the software youself. You need to install some dependencies, you
need a python environment etc. But if you have, let's say a hoster that
provides you with a managed server with Ubuntu and you have ssh access to
it, you should be able to install it with the documentation (
http://docs.ckan.org/en/latest/maintaining/installing/install-from-source.html
).

It's not that hard, and if you follow the guidelines, it should work just
fine.

I don't know if my answer helps you, I think the first step is to find a
hosting provider that fits the criterias.

- Stefan