[ckan-dev] Code size viz

David Read david.read at hackneyworkshop.com
Thu Oct 16 17:01:39 UTC 2014

I want to share a quick vizualization of the code size in CKAN,
because I wanted to see where the value lies:

http://i.imgur.com/ux8Vjul.png

I used a tool (cloc) that counts 'lines' of code (ignoring comments
and blanks) and the total in the diagram is 48000. Workings are here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_CDqUH8jVN8OVk0ZTN6OHIzblk/view?usp=sharing

Clearly the CSS's importance is inflated because each 'line' is only a
tiny bit of value. But it does show that the View part of the MVC has
a great deal of value in it. And projects (like us at data.gov.uk)
that replace all the View with their own customized version have got
their work cut-out. So there is an excellent case for people to use
the CKAN templates, CSS & JS, or customize starting from them.

We in the CKAN tech team have also been aiming for the controllers to
be pretty thin wrappers around the logic layer, and clearly we still
have some more work to do there.

Other questions/comments welcome.

David