[ckan-dev] CKAN <-> Wordpress

Stefan Oderbolz stefan.oderbolz at liip.ch
Fri Oct 10 13:27:19 UTC 2014

Hi Matt,

whether it's faster to adapt CKAN or WordPress depends on the skills of the
developer. I'd say if you already have the theme and the CSS it should be
quite easy to add that to CKAN. But of course it's perfectly fine to just
call the API for the datasets (and maybe introduce some kind of caching to
prevent performance issues). If all you need is a list of datasets with
some metadata fields, I'd go for the API solution. But if you need more
features that the CKAN frontend already implements, I'd go that route.

And to only show datasets of one organization on myvillage.ckaninstance.com,
you simply have to serve the original URL
ckaninstance.com/organizations/myvillage using a proxy.

- Stefan

On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 1:56 PM, Matt Fullerton <matt.fullerton at okfn.de>
wrote:

> [...]
> route). But it does bring up another question: is it possible to do a kind
> of co-hosting on CKAN whereby myvillage.ckaninstance.com only shows the
> data from the organisation myvillage? If so, then the proxy solution might
> still be a possibility.
>
> Best,
> Matt
>
> --
> Matt Fullerton
> Softwareentwickler
> matt.fullerton at okfn.de
> +49 89 74560495
> Open Knowledge Foundation Deutschland e.V.
> Singerstr. 109
> 10179 Berlin
> http://www.okfn.de
>
> On 10 October 2014 13:14, Stefan Oderbolz <stefan.oderbolz at liip.ch> wrote:
>
>> Hi Matt,
>>
>> what are your requirements? You can easily use the CKAN frontend to
>> display the data and create a WordPress theme to look alike (or vice-versa).
>> There are already some example around where CKAN and WordPress are used
>> on the same page, e.g.
>>
>> mysite.org/ => served by WordPress
>> mysite.org/dataset => served by CKAN
>> mysite.org/groups => served by CKAN
>> mysite.org/about => served by WordPress
>>
>> etc.
>>
>> LIke that you can use the best of both world (CKAN for the data part,
>> WordPress for the CMS part).
>>
>> This is the exact same architecture that we used for opendata.admin.ch:
>>
>> http://opendata.admin.ch => SymfonyCMF
>> http://opendata.admin.ch/de/dataset => CKAN
>> http://opendata.admin.ch/de/apps => SymfonyCMF
>> http://opendata.admin.ch/de/faq => SymfonyCMF
>> http://opendata.admin.ch/de/organization => CKAN
>>
>> Like that you actually run two different applications and there is no
>> need to integrate them using an API etc. To do that, you only need a
>> webserver as a proxy that knows which route must be served by which
>> application.
>>
>> Best Regards Stefan
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 9:24 AM, Alessio Dragoni <
>> alessio.dragoni at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>  Hi Matt,
>>> why don't use the RSS feed of CKAN and get it into WP ?
>>>

>>> On 10/10/2014 09:09 AM, Matt Fullerton wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks. I did now scroll down the list of OKFN repos far enough to find
>>> the plugin :D but it is quite old and also not really want I want. I just
>>> need the CKAN data to be displayed on a Wordpress site, I don't need to
>>> integrate them at the front-end level.
>>>
>>>  I may have found what I'm looking for:
>>> https://wordpress.org/plugins/open-data-viewer-for-austria/developers/
>>>
>>>  Even if I may need to remove the Austrian specificity...
>>>
>>>  Thanks again,
>>> Matt
>>>
>>>  --
>>> Matt Fullerton
>>> Softwareentwickler
>>> matt.fullerton at okfn.de
>>> +49 89 74560495
>>> Open Knowledge Foundation Deutschland e.V.
>>> 10179 Berlin