[ckan-dev] CKAN API Documentation in other Languages?

Adrià Mercader adria.mercader at okfn.org
Tue Sep 23 14:39:03 UTC 2014

Hi Knud,

On 23 September 2014 10:53, Knud Hinnerk Möller <knud at datalysator.com> wrote:

> - Have translations of the docs into other languages been done? I couldn’t
> find any examples.
The only ones I know of have added portions of the docs to the GitHub
wiki (eg https://github.com/ckan/ckan/wiki/Gu%C3%ADa-de-usuario)

That's because previously ReadTheDocs (the platform where we host our
docs) didn't support translations.

It looks like it now supports it, although you need to have separate projects:

http://read-the-docs.readthedocs.org/en/latest/localization.html#project-with-multiple-translations

You could of course fork CKAN and work on translating the docs there,
or have a separate repo with just the docs and push them to RTD, where
we could link to them from the main repo. The problem that comes to
mind is keeping the translations in sync, eg how to deal with changes
in the docs upstream.

Also some parts of the docs like the Action API reference [1] are
generated from docstrings in the code.

[1] http://docs.ckan.org/en/latest/api/index.html#action-api-reference