[ckan-dev] Global Resource Identifier: is it possible?

Alessandro Portosa alessandro.portosa at eng.it
Tue Apr 7 13:05:44 UTC 2015

This surely helps, thanks. I think that it is fine if same resources
have the same UUID. I just wanted to be sure that resources ID were
universal/global. Now it is pretty clear! The CKAN-CKAN harvesting is
not taken into account yet, but thanks Steven for point out that, it is
good to know for future development.

Thanks guys!
A.

Il 07/04/2015 14:49, Ian Ward ha scritto:
> In CKAN's default dataset schema dataset IDs and resource IDs are
> generated with uuid4[1] on creation. As of CKAN 2.3 sysadmins are
> allowed to set dataset IDs on creation, but not the resource IDs. A
> custom dataset schema would let you set both the resource and dataset
> IDs if you need to.
>
> [1]: https://docs.python.org/2/library/uuid.html#uuid.uuid4
>
> On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 8:40 AM, Adrià Mercader
> <adria.mercader at okfn.org <mailto:adria.mercader at okfn.org>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     If I understood Alessandro correctly, I think he was asking about
>     whether CKAN dataset can be safely uniquely identified using their
>     ids. In theory the answer is yes, because as Alessio pointed out
>     we use UUIDs for them, but in some cases like the ones Steven
>     mentions (CKAN-CKAN harvesting, the same id is shared across
>     instances). You could argue that that still is the same dataset,
>     just living in two different portals, but if you want to
>     distinguish these datasets you might need to use a hash of id +
>     site url or something similar.
>
>     Hope this helps,
>
>     Adrià
>
>     On 7 April 2015 at 12:40, Steven De Costa
>     <steven.decosta at linkdigital.com.au
>     <mailto:steven.decosta at linkdigital.com.au>> wrote:
>
>         Yep, but I was wondering if Alessandro was talking about a DB
>         that potentially had IDs from different CKAN instances. If so
>         the you'd want to also match on the harvest source ID/URL.
>
>         For example, on data.gov.au <http://data.gov.au> and
>         data.sa.gov.au <http://data.sa.gov.au> each Solr service picks
>         up results from either of the two. More instances canbe linked
>         into the results without conflict too.
>

>         On Tuesday, April 7, 2015, Alessio Dragoni
>         <alessio.dragoni at gmail.com <mailto:alessio.dragoni at gmail.com>>
>         wrote:
>
>             aĺ the IDs in CKAN are UUID
>
>             On Apr 7, 2015 1:06 PM, "Alessandro Portosa"
>             <alessandro.portosa at eng.it> wrote:
>
>                 Hello, I have a question on how the resource (or even
>                 the dataset) ID is generated.
>                 Context: I have integrated CKAN inside an analysis
>                 tool, where resources medata can be saved locally.
>                 The tool should not be tied to a specific CKAN
>                 instance, but the user can change the target CKAN url
>                 (datahub.io <http://datahub.io>, data.gov
>                 <http://data.gov>, and so on). My problem is: I would
>                 like to globally identify resources and dataset, but
>                 I'm not sure how the ID is built. Can anyone give me
>                 explanation about that? It is really important for us,
>                 because metadata are saved in our DB using CKAN
>                 resource ID as primary key and I need to be sure that
>                 there will be no conflict if using different CKAN
>                 instances.
>
>                 Alessandro.

>         --
>         *STEVEN DE COSTA *|*EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
>         *www.linkdigital.com.au <http://www.linkdigital.com.au/>

*Alessandro Portosa*
SpagoBI Consultant

*SpagoBI Labs
Engineering Group*
Via Marconi, 10 - 40125 Bologna - Italy
Tel. + 39 051 0435090
Skype: alessandro.portosa
www.spagobi.org <http://www.spagobi.org> - www.eng.it
<http://www.eng.it/web/eng_en/home>

	  Respect the environment. Please don't print this e-mail unless you
really need to.

material from any computer.