[ckan-dev] Filtering by group_type

Niall Beard niall.beard at manchester.ac.uk
Mon Feb 2 18:05:19 UTC 2015

We're developing a new type of group alongside the default 'organisation'
and 'group' group_types in CKAN. Our new group type would be called 'node'
and behave in the exact same way as group. We've implemented the iGroupForm
interface and extended the Group Controller with our own and found
everything to work except when it comes to displaying the groups or nodes
index pages.
The action group_list doesn't accept a group_type parameter to filter the
'groups' from the 'nodes' and vice versa. It merely distinguishes as either
an organisation group_type or anything not an organisation group_type.
As a result the index page for group and for node list every group that
isn't of type organisation.
Everything else works swimmingly to support adding a custom group_type
except this one thing.

Does anyone have any suggestions how we can filter by group_type at the
Action level (we don't want to do it at template/controller level), or
whether this is in the roadmap for CKAN core devs, or whether a pull
request would likely be accepted if we commit our time to implementing it?

Niall Beard
Scientific Web Technologist,
eScience Lab,
University of Manchester