[ckan-dev] Report on open data standardization

Stéphane Guidoin stephane at opennorth.ca
Mon Jun 22 18:02:37 UTC 2015

Dear CKANers

Earlier this year, Open North has released a report on open data standards.
I would like to share this report with you for two reasons:

   - Many of these recommendations are mainly the responsibility of the
   open data portal "editors". So it is important in our mind that, for
   example, the core developers of CKAN knows the current work
   - We know that several CKAN providers or implementors are also on
   ckan-dev, so it is a good way to reach them oout.

It is still not final since we are to receive comments from OGP members to
come up with a final version later this year.

We hope that the final recommendations will be part of the OGP Open Charter
that is currently being designed. As a consequence, we hope that open data
portal editors will support governments to comply with such recommendations.

Current work on the DCAT extension is moving forward but, as written in the
recommendation, other steps are needed.

The reports are also available online:
http://public.opennorth.ca.s3.amazonaws.com/reports/ODWG-Standards-1st-deliverable-Gaps-and-opportunities-for-standardization.pdf
http://public.opennorth.ca.s3.amazonaws.com/reports/ODWG-Standards-2nd-deliverable-Recommended-standards-and-best-practices.pdf

Commentable version of the recommendation report is also available:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kBJIHSFfYOJUZDyQCFir-aFNMQBFbfQD4zB9Sx5mPUg/edit#

Would you have any question about these reports, please contact us at:
odresearch at opennorth.ca. Also feel free to contact the OGP Open Data
Working Group to participate in the process.

Best regards

Stéphane Guidoin