[ckan-dev] CSV Validation

Ross Jones ross at servercode.co.uk
Mon Mar 16 15:44:20 UTC 2015

Hi,

A couple of days ago I noticed someone on Twitter[0] mention integrating CKAN with the OKFNLabs new Goodtables[1] package.

The short version is that using Goodtables would allow users to validate that:

a. Their CSV looks like a CSV and is consistent
b. Optionally validated against a JSON Table Schema.

There is a Web UI for Goodtables[2] (although you can set up your own) but currently it’ll only do validation inline with the request. This means if that if you were to trigger a http request to Goodtables and GT took 5 seconds, so would your resource save call.

Obviously doing the validation outside of the resource save request itself would be better, and so (to my point) is anyone interested in adding the validation using the Goodtables library[3] to ckanext-qa[4] - which seems like an obvious place to add it?

Ross.

[0] https://twitter.com/_beechnut/status/576459321032183808
[1] http://okfnlabs.org/blog/2015/02/20/introducing-goodtables.html
[2] http://goodtables.okfnlabs.org