[ckan-dev] CKAN DCAT integration

Kim Nilsson kim.nilsson at dohi.se
Mon Nov 16 14:38:13 UTC 2015

Hi,

We (Umeå Kommun<http://umea.se> in collaboration with OpenNorth<http://ckan.openumea.se/about>) are currently working on a project for making more human readable versions of DCAT-AP files.

The idea is to provide people with a HTML representation of the DCAT file if they simply navigate to it using their browser.

Programs which want to consume the actual DCAT file can still request it by sending the appropriate header (Accept: application/rdf+xml)

The goal of this project is to increase the discoverability of the data we provide and to encourage people to use it.

So we've wrote a small application in Python that can do this for us.

If you want too see a page generate by the application it can be found at http://opennorth.se/datasets/dcat.

The RDF used to generate it can, as mentioned above, be gotten by sending the header Accept: application/rdf+xml.

If you're interested in the code it can be found at https://github.com/openumea/RDFtoHTML

So why am I telling you guys all this?

Well, part of the reason we chose to implement it in Python was that it would be easier to integrate with CKAN.

We run a CKAN instance ourselves and we would somehow like to show more meta data about our catalog and datasets, we're just not entierly sure how to show it.

So we're wondering if you think this would be interesting to integrate into CKAN somehow?

And if that's the case, how would we do it?

Any other feedback on the generated output or the actual code is of course also welcome.

--
Sincerly,
Kim

kim.nilsson at dohi.se<mailto:kim.nilsson at dohi.se>