[ckan-dev] CKAN SSL/HttpS

Aaron McGlinchy McGlinchyA at landcareresearch.co.nz
Fri Oct 9 00:44:17 UTC 2015

Hi, previously we had problems when running CKAN with HttpS, with data not uploading fully and not previewing.  This I think was related to datapusher/dataproxy.

We have installed a test instance of CKAN 2.4, and HttpS seems to be working (touchwood). Uploaded  files are getting pushed to datastore, and they then preview as expected.  One thing I have noticed is if we link (html type resource) to an external website - if that site is HttpS, then the website previews fine, but if it is Http then it is a large blank space.  I expect this is probably the desired behaviour in terms of not displaying an insecure website, but I wondered if CKAN could more gracefully handle that situation i.e. rather than display a large white space, perhaps a message something like "The resource linked too is hosted on an insecure external website, and cannot be previewed.  If you wish to open the resource, click on the link above."

Interestingly (and good I think?) - if I link to an externally host file that is not on a secure server (e.g. http://files.figshare.com/1201710/Table_2.xls) then that file does get ingested into datastore and previews.

So just a thought for the future (or happy to be pointed to our error if we still doing something wrong with our setup).

Cheers
Aaron