[ckan-dev] CKAN SSL/HttpS

Matthew Fullerton matt.fullerton at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 08:09:26 UTC 2015

Hi,

On 9 October 2015 at 02:44, Aaron McGlinchy <
McGlinchyA at landcareresearch.co.nz> wrote:

> Hi, previously we had problems when running CKAN with HttpS, with data not
> uploading fully and not previewing.  This I think was related to
> datapusher/dataproxy.
>
> We have installed a test instance of CKAN 2.4, and HttpS seems to be
> working (touchwood). Uploaded  files are getting pushed to datastore, and
> they then preview as expected.  One thing I have noticed is if we link
> (html type resource) to an external website - if that site is HttpS, then
> the website previews fine, but if it is Http then it is a large blank
> space.  I expect this is probably the desired behaviour in terms of not
> displaying an insecure website, but I wondered if CKAN could more
> gracefully handle that situation i.e. rather than display a large white
> space, perhaps a message something like "The resource linked too is hosted
> on an insecure external website, and cannot be previewed.  If you wish to
> open the resource, click on the link above."

This is actually browser behaviour. But it would be possible with
Javascript to start with a message that gives this warning if ckan_url
includes "https:" and the iframe url includes "http:" and then attempts to
insert the iframe. Have you tried enabling the built in resource_proxy
extension? I'm not sure if it gets put to use for the website view, I think
it isn't.

> Interestingly (and good I think?) - if I link to an externally host file
> that is not on a secure server (e.g.
> http://files.figshare.com/1201710/Table_2.xls) then that file does get
> ingested into datastore and previews.

I don't think that's good or normal. Are you sure its really the http/https
difference and not something else?

> So just a thought for the future (or happy to be pointed to our error if
> we still doing something wrong with our setup).

In case its relevant, I've been having some problems with CKAN and
datapusher on a certain kind of (beyond my control) SSL certificate/proxy
set up:
https://github.com/ckan/datapusher/issues/83

Best,
Matt