[ckan-dev] Migrate CKAN instance to docker

Denis Zgonjanin deniszgonjanin at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 18:38:34 UTC 2015

datacats is really just a very fancy wrapper around CKAN and Docker that we
made to "dockerize" the many CKAN instances we work on for various
governments. Here's a short how-to on how I go about migrating an instance
to docker.

Assuming you have docker installed already, activate your existing
virtualenv (or create a new one), then run:

pip install datacats
datacats pull
datacats create myckan

Then after that's done, clone whatever CKAN extensions you want into the
myckan directory and install them. For example:

cd myckan
git clone https://github.com/ckan/ckanext-pages.git
datacats install

That will give you a dockerized environment that runs CKAN in 4 different
docker containers, all connected to each other. There's a container for the
web process, a postgres container, a solr container, and a datapusher
container. All your source code inside the 'myckan' directory is mounted
inside the web process container under /project/

To migrate your database, create a dump of your old environment as usual
with `paster db dump` (or manually using pg_dump, whatever you prefer).
Then nuke the dockerized ckan's db and load the new one:

cd myckan
cp /backups/myoldckan.dump.sql .
datacats stop
datacats paster db clean
datacats paster db load /project/myoldckan.dump.sql

That should put you well on your way to having a dockerized CKAN. By
default the web process will run with paster. If you want it to run with
apache in production, you can run:

datacats reload --production

Hope that helps. If you get a chance to try it, let me know how it goes.
There are still some rough edges, especially as Docker is still evolving
very quickly.

A more detailed guide is here: http://docs.datacats.com/guide.html