[ckan-dev] Docker

Matthew Fullerton matt.fullerton at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 12:28:52 UTC 2015

The problem as I see it is linking together multiple Docker containers
without docker compose is really painful, mainly because you can't depend
on the internal IP addresses staying the same. Maybe there is a way to
overcome this, but my understanding is that its that problem that docker
compose overcomes. This was the approach Clement was taking with the
separate repository.

So yes, a standalone Docker that works would be useful for some cases and
maybe OK to include, but it should come attached with a warning that it is
good when CKAN is the only part to be dockerized and that for complete
docker setups Docker compose should be used (or datacats... or....).

Maybe my info is totally out of date. Also there is the separate issue that
the images on Docker hub are not being kept up to date with the CKAN
releases. I.e. the schema.xml being wrong in the solr image.

Actually, I see now there is already a PR for docker compose:
https://github.com/ckan/ckan/pull/2338

Best,
Matt