[ckan-dev] Experimenting with a minimal CKAN

Ross Jones ross at servercode.co.uk
Wed Sep 30 18:30:56 UTC 2015

Hi all,

As an experiment (for fun, or out of boredom - you decide), I decided to see what a smaller footprint CKAN might look like, one that only provides the usual CKAN API, support for action functions from plugins and no UI. The only use-case I can think of for this (what do you mean the use-case should come first?) is for someone perhaps wanting CKAN for a SPA (Single Page Application) without needing most of the functionality that comes out of the box with CKAN. It’s at https://github.com/rossjones/ckan-mini if anybody wants to take a look. It looks a lot like CKAN because it is for the most part, there’s just less of it*.

I recall Rufus built a SPA a while back using the precursor to https://github.com/okfn/ckan.js but I wondered if anyone might be interested in working on a CKAN SPA as a fun side-project? You could of course do that with a full CKAN install, but I thought it might be fun to see how lightweight/easily-installable we could get it.

Cheers

Ross.

* No UI, No static assets, No controllers (except for API), less middleware, eventually less dependencies.