[ckan-dev] Deprecated: related items (Apps & Ideas)

Steven De Costa steven.decosta at linkdigital.com.au
Fri Sep 4 13:21:59 UTC 2015

Thanks David!

I really appreciate this notice AND the approach it represents. CKAN is an
awesome data management system. I think it will retain this awesome status
by remaining its focus on core workflows.

The related data use cases is something of a content addition for what I'd
say are tertiary users of CKAN. Primary are machines, secondary are data
custodians.

Having this as an extension makes more sense as CKAN continues to be
adopted for Government open data, open research data and even open private
sector data.

Plus one and two thumbs up from me. And, big props to the developers
contributing to the related use case extension as it is very cool :)

Cheers,
Steven

On Friday, September 4, 2015, David Read <david.read at hackneyworkshop.com>
wrote:

> ! Warning for all CKAN admins !
>
> We will be removing the 'related items' feature in the next version of
> CKAN (v2.5 expected around December). Several sites use this core ckan
> feature to list "Apps" or "Apps & Ideas".
>
> It has been replaced by the ckanext-showcase extension, which allows
> 'showcasing' apps, vizualizations, news items etc associated with
> datasets. It includes a paster script to copy existing related items
> into showcase ones. Since ckanext-showcase works with existing
> versions of CKAN (2.3+), we suggest all sites migrate in advance of
> the CKAN 2.5 release.
>
> https://github.com/ckan/ckanext-showcase
>
> David

*STEVEN DE COSTA *|