[ckan-dev] Deprecated: related items (Apps & Ideas)

David Read david.read at hackneyworkshop.com
Fri Sep 11 11:32:11 UTC 2015

Carl,

Related Items was not designed for relating datasets to other datasets, but
I see that you could use it for that. There are two alternatives that you
could use to replace it, though:

1. It would be simple to have an extra field instead. It's well documented
how to add a field to the form & underlying schema and you just need to
adjust the template to display it on the dataset page.
2. You could take advantage of the 'package relationships' model that
exists in CKAN but has no UI. Again you need to adjust the form, schema &
dataset view template.

As an aside, I've struggled to find compelling use cases to show
relationships between datasets. Some people talk about wanting to show
'parent/child' relationships, or 'related to' or 'is similar to'. But the
nature of the relationship always seemed difficult to define clearly in a
way that is useful for datasets en mass. I think they tend to be
conveniences for the human user, rather than useful machine-readable
metadata.

So what might be more appropriate is to show next to a dataset other
similar datasets, which is automatically filled based on similarity in the
metadata record. So two with similar titles because they are about the same
thing, would reference each other. As might two that share an ArcGIS layer.

David