[ckan-dev] Future, flask, breaking things, funding.

Ross Jones ross at servercode.co.uk
Mon Sep 14 13:18:57 UTC 2015

Hi,

> On 14 Sep 2015, at 08:56, Angelos Tzotsos <gcpp.kalxas at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Ross,
>
> I believe that a Flask port (or rewrite) is an excellent idea for CKAN 3.0 in order to support Python 3.x
> The alternative would be to port Pylons to Python 3.x, which perhaps is a more difficult task...
>
> Given that Python 2.x will EOL relatively soon, CKAN should move forward.

Yeah, there's going to be some level of breakage at some point, can't avoid it forever. I'm worried that
v3 is often a re-write and doesn't always work - so I am still personally torn between maintaining all
backward-compatability, some and none.

I'll definitely wager that the number of people volunteering to maintain Pylons and upgrade it to v3 will
be about 0 :) I could be mistaken...

Cheers

Ross