[ckan-dev] Experimenting with a minimal CKAN

Ross Jones ross at servercode.co.uk
Wed Sep 30 19:15:15 UTC 2015

> On 30 Sep 2015, at 20:03, Denis Zgonjanin <deniszgonjanin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I am interested! :D
>
> That might be ambitious, but I think we should try to build not one but a couple of reference front-end implementations on top of ckan-mini, independently of each other. That way we can make sure ckan-mini is fully decoupled from its front-ends. That in turn would let us:

That sounds like a really good idea.  One thing that has just struck me, is how a SPA would log in a user, I don't think basic auth works any more (I may be wrong) so would be hard to get the current user's APIKey. Should be reasonably quick to check and add something if necessary.

> - More easily create highly customized CKAN sites.
> - Keep the front-ends updated as shiny client-side technology evolves.
> - Keep the back-end updated without being stuck to old server-side rendering frameworks.
> - Build native apps and thingies.

Another thing I'm hoping it'll show, is what's missing in the logic layer - I think having SPAs calling the action layer will show pretty quickly what more the API should/could be doing.

Now, if only I wasn't rubbish at Javascript ....

Ross