[ckan-dev] Bounty for Background tasks

Ross Jones ross at servercode.co.uk
Fri Apr 22 12:09:52 UTC 2016

Hi,

So recently I have been getting frustrated with how hard it is to run background tasks with CKAN.  During a specific HTTP request we should be doing as little as possible, and things like sending emails, updating metrics, posting webhooks should really be run as asynchronous tasks.

Having taken a look around I noticed that RQ (http://python-rq.org/) looks nice and simple.  I've started a PR at https://github.com/ckan/ckan/pull/2706 but don't really have the time to finish it, test it, and document it.

It is however frustrating enough that I would *really* like this feature in CKAN. Like *really, really*.

So to that end, I'd like to post a bounty to part-fund the work:

    https://github.com/ckan/ckan/issues/2977

I don't expect that amount to cover anywhere near the entire work (I wish) but I do hope that it will:

a) Encourage someone who was thinking of contributing to contribute, or
b) Encourage others to add to the bounty.
c) Make my life a little easier with background tasks.

Even if you don't want to do the work yourself, I would definitely appreciate anyone sharing the bounty link with those members of their team with budgets - perhaps we can get the features we want funded directly one at a time?

Cheers

Ross