[ckan-dev] Naming and versioning for extension API functions

Florian.Brucker at mb.karlsruhe.de Florian.Brucker at mb.karlsruhe.de
Mon Apr 25 09:27:00 UTC 2016

Hello everybody,

are there established rules or best practices for the naming and versioning
of API functions added by extensions? In particular:

   How should I prefix my function names to avoid name clashes? Should I
   use the full "ckanext_myextension_my-function" or is
   "myextension_myfunction" enough?

   Since extensions are developed independently their APIs might also
   change independently from the CKAN API version. From that point of view
   an additional version number in the URL would make sense.

I'm thinking about something like "api/3/myextension/1/my_function" but I'm
not sure if that is compatible with the existing routing/get_action/etc.

Regards,
Florian