[ckan-dev] Community Interest for a strong dashboarding functionnality

Alessio Dragoni alessio.dragoni at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 18:53:30 UTC 2016

Hi Vincent,
fully agree with David and Steven

we have recently built a portal named opencantieri [1] for the Italian
Ministry of Infrastructures and Transportation related to construction
works accountability that present in different dashboards data coming from
several different datastore served from a CKAN instance using its datastore
API [2].

I haven't seen anything similar around (my fault) but definitivelly using
CKAN you have multiple choices to tailor your final solutions

hope it helps
Alessio

[1] - http://opencantieri.mit.gov.it
[2] - http://data.mit.gov.it
Hi Vincent,

As David has mentioned it is pretty easy to build visualisation options on
top of CKAN. Establishing an approach supported by a extension(s) sounds
good to me.

I spoke with the folks behind data.gov.sg about their code and working with
them on something which supports the approach seen on home, dataset and
group pages in that portal.

I think we need to introduce a feature for user curation which I think
could be nicely done via a bookmarking use case. Bookmark collections could
then be used as a basis for telling visual stories with dataset resources.
One view for such visual stories could be achieved as a dashboard.

So, the first extension I'm planning to develop is bookmarks... I need to
fit it in with client work but will start the documentation for user
stories this week.

Cheers,
Steven

--