[ckan-dev] Community Interest for a strong dashboarding functionnality

Derek Hohls dhohls at csir.co.za
Thu Feb 18 09:48:12 UTC 2016

Hi Alessio

Is the code you used to develop the dashboard(s) available as an open source project?

Thanks
Derek

>>> Alessio Dragoni <alessio.dragoni at gmail.com> 02/16/16 8:54 PM >>>
Hi Vincent,
 fully agree with David and Steven
 we have recently built a portal named opencantieri [1] for the Italian Ministry of Infrastructures and Transportation related to construction works accountability that present in different dashboards data coming from several different datastore served from a CKAN instance using its datastore API [2].
 I haven't seen anything similar around (my fault) but definitivelly using CKAN you have multiple choices to tailor your final solutions
 hope it helps
 Alessio
 [1] - http://opencantieri.mit.gov.it
 [2] - http://data.mit.gov.it
 Hi Vincent,
As David has mentioned it is pretty easy to build visualisation options on top of CKAN. Establishing an approach supported by a extension(s) sounds good to me.

I spoke with the folks behind data.gov.sg about their code and working with them on something which supports the approach seen on home, dataset and group pages in that portal.

I think we need to introduce a feature for user curation which I think could be nicely done via a bookmarking use case. Bookmark collections could then be used as a basis for telling visual stories with dataset resources. One view for such visual stories could be achieved as a dashboard.

So, the first extension I'm planning to develop is bookmarks... I need to fit it in with client work but will start the documentation for user stories this week.

Cheers,
Steven