[ckan-dev] Q&A for datacats installs?

John Jediny - XAAB john.jediny at gsa.gov
Wed Jan 13 17:31:11 UTC 2016

Derek... I'm used to replying to you on the Geonode <http://geonode>
mailing list (small world)...

I recently joined this list as well as the data.gov team, and we've been
looking for a similar solution to datacats but our need requires us to
deploy CKAN using as little infrastructure as possible to scaffold out our
future deployments which will be docker based. Our plan is to use
http://bosh.io (an InfrastructureaaS agnostic
deployment/orchestration/health manager) to managed our future deployments
of docker/docker-swarm to handle the management of multiple CKANs as well
as load balancing...

Currently testing a docker based (alpha) repo that would then be deployed
onto the docker-swarm <https://github.com/GSA/catalog-app> (but this is
currently a rough cut at packaging CKAN with Docker - there is still ALOT
of work to be done to refactor the application to isolate
services/processes per container and more inline with http://12factor.net...
our current plan has use looking at our current production and test
environments to identify all our custom processes that tend to hide
themselves when any application that is running on a single virtual machine
along side the various services (like Solr/Postgres/Reddis/ApacheORNginx...

Our hope is to move fast but we'd also like to do so in the open and
hopefully within the existing CKAN community. Are there others out there
that would be interested in supporting a community repo for a docker-based
CKAN? I know there has been some work in the past on this (and I'm sure
there's more ongoing) - so this too could be an opportunity to consolidate?

Chief Data Engineer
@Data.gov
OCSIT | 18F
General Services Administration