[ckan-dev] Question about singular/plural translation

Stefan Oderbolz stefan.oderbolz at liip.ch
Sun Jan 17 11:12:00 UTC 2016

Hi Adrià,

yes I read about the new handling of translation in CKAN 2.5. We started
our project with CKAN 2.4 and are in the freezing phase, so we stick to
this version for now. But I'll definitely want to migrate as soon as we can.

Back to the problem:

As for your particular issue, I'm not sure what's going on. On the
> resulting catalog, do you have two separate entries, one for the
> singular and one for the plural variant? eg
>
> msgid "Organization"
> msgstr "Organisation"
>
> msgid "Organization"
> msgid_plural "Organizations"
> msgstr[0] "Organisation"
> msgstr[1] "Organisationen"

No, there is only the latter entry, and no separate "singular" entry. Do
you know if there _should_ be a separate entry? Or should _() return the
singular form if called on an entry with both singular/plural forms?

We use the same catalog for a PHP application, where the call to _()
returns the singular form, which is what I expected. But I'm not sure if
this is according to the spec and if not, which component does it "wrong".

- Stefan

--
Liip AG  // Limmatstrasse 183 //  CH-8005 Zürich
Tel +41 43 500 39 80 // GnuPG 0x7B588C67 // www.liip.ch