[ckan-dev] Cookie Compliance

David Read david.read at hackneyworkshop.com
Thu Jan 28 16:24:11 UTC 2016

David,

CKAN uses a cookie when you log-in. But the EU Cookie Law says this
type does not require consent.

You may choose to add Google Analytics to your site, which adds
tracking cookies, and that would require some form of consent. The EU
Cookie Law was interpreted in the UK as meaning you should simply
inform your readers what cookies are set and what they are used for,
so that continued use implies informed consent. gov.uk achieves this
with a one-time banner message containing a link to more info. Other
sites just have the link in their footer. But since Google Analytics
is not part of CKAN, how you show the cookie info is left up to you to
decide, and I imagine other EU countries interpret the law
differently.

David