[ckan-dev] ckanext-spatial deploy to production environment (datacats)

John Jediny - XAAB john.jediny at gsa.gov
Thu Jun 2 14:28:07 UTC 2016

Wiebke,

*Sorry in advance, as im going to try to piggyback off your question with a
broader conversation with the ckan-dev...

It seems there have been a few attempts now at creating a docker based
CKAN...

   1. Datacat being the best example - but I've heard the core contributors
   have more or less moved on/away, can anyone confirm status? While we
   assessed the use of Datacats, one of the issues we foresaw was that it was
   using python wrappers for the management of docker on a single host (which
   is completely valid for most use-cases). But we needed to be able to scale
   out across multiple hosts to pool those resources to truly get a benefit in
   using docker. This however comes with its own issues as managing shared
   volumes, queues, ips, port mapping, cron jobs, etc, etc are "Platform"
   problems that Docker alone doesn't solve (hence the python management of
   Datacats)...
   2. I know the docker repo on the CKAN github org has been deprecated,
   but there was recently a minimal version added within the main repo -
   https://github.com/ckan/ckan/tree/master/contrib/docker. Can anyone
   comment on  this (is it only intended for dev/test)? If there are those
   interested we at Data.gov would like to contribute/collaborate on our
   docker CKAN work with the community. Any ideas/suggests how best to
   collaborate on this moving forward would be appreciated:
   - https://hub.docker.com/u/datagov/
      - https://github.com/GSA/catalog-app

Wiebke - per your specific ask...
There are some unique aspects of running pycsw as a docker container and
not as a separate service on the same machine:

   - Here is our pycsw dockerfile for comparison -
   https://github.com/GSA/catalog-pycsw
   - You need to add a proxy service (nginx/apache) that makes an alias of
   /csw & /csw-all to the pycsw container and then --link them -
   https://github.com/GSA/catalog-nginx/blob/master/nginx.conf
   - As CKAN doesn't share the same database table as pycsw you need
   another container with linkages/mappings to run cron jobs -
   https://github.com/GSA/catalog-scheduler. This is something that is
   dictated by the different core metadata model is stored/used by CKAN (its
   own by default) vs pycsw which maps/stores its core metadata model using ISO
   19139 2007 (*though I know I'm interested in having them read from the same
   DB table rather then setting up cron jobs to do the transformation
   and ingest from CKAN to pycsw (As covered by the link Pedro sent -
   http://docs.ckan.org/projects/ckanext-spatial/en/latest/csw.html#running-it-on-production-site
   .

On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 12:59 PM, Wiebke Toussaint <
wiebke.toussaint at uct.ac.za> wrote:

> Hey!
>

> I've installed ckan with datacats and docker and am running it on an
> Ubuntu 14.04 server. My site is available here:
> http://energydata.uct.ac.za/. I've been trying to install ckanext-spatial
> so that my site can be harvested by another data portal.
>
> I've installed ckanext-spatial and pycsw as per instructions, but am
> struggling to figure out how to deploy it in a production environment,
> outside of http://localhost:8000. I want my data portal to be accessible
> via a /csw endpoint.

> Kind regards,
> Wiebke
>
> Disclaimer - University of Cape Town This e-mail is subject to UCT
> policies and e-mail disclaimer published on our website at
> http://www.uct.ac.za/about/policies/emaildisclaimer/ or obtainable from +27
> 21 650 9111. If this e-mail is not related to the business of UCT, it is
> sent by the sender in an individual capacity. Please report security
> incidents or abuse via csirt at uct.ac.za

Chief Data Engineer
202-341-0191
@Data.gov
@Office of Citizen Science and Innovative Technologies/18F
<http://www.gsa.gov/portal/category/25729>
General Services Administration

Work in the Open... ideate, innovate, iterate...
@github <https://github.com/JJediny> | @projectopendata
<https://github.com/project-open-data>