[ckan-dev] action api problem

Stefan Oderbolz stefan.oderbolz at liip.ch
Mon Nov 14 10:46:53 UTC 2016

Hi Armin,

I guess you followed the user documentation (
http://docs.ckan.org/en/latest/maintaining/getting-started.html#create-admin-user)
and created a new sysadmin user called "seanh" (you can change that name to
anything you want).

Be aware that the API-Key is somewhat similar to a password and should be
kept secret, as you can do anything on the CKAN instance if you have it.
So if your CKAN instance is public, I would suggest to change the API key
of the admin user (you can do that if you login with the user and then
there is a button called "Regenerate API key").

Best regards Stefan

On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 11:32 AM, Armin Retterath <armin.retterath at gmail.com
> wrote:

> hi together,
>
> i added following to the http header:

> where d469d6af-a2e8-4d35-abe2-17f6d4198822 is the api key for the default
> sysadmin seanh user ;-) ?
>
> armin

>> Hi Armin,
>>
>> this looks like you did not submit the API key, which authenticates the
>> user.
>> Have a look at the CKAN docs:
>> http://docs.ckan.org/en/latest/api/index.html#authentication-and-api-keys
>>
>> regards
>> hendrik
>>
>> --On 2016-11-11 14:19, Armin Retterath wrote:
>> > hello together,
>> >
>> > i try to create new organizations with the action api
>> organization_create
>> > command as default user seanh under ckan 2.5.2 (ubuntu 14.04).
>> > the organization has only id, name, title, description and image_url
>> > elements.
>> > i get following response:
>> >
>> > response: {"help": "
>> > http://192.168.2.132/api/3/action/help_show?name=organization_create",
>> > "success": false, "error": {"message": "Access denied: <function
>> > organization_create at 0x7f9d4a66e578> requires an authenticated user",
>> > "__type": "Authorization Error"}}
>> >
>> > what is the problem? have this feature to be activated in the ini file
>> or
>> > are there some missing elements for the organization (maybe my user
>> itself)
>> > ?
>> >
>> > thanx in advance
>> >
>> > armin

>> --
>> Dr. Hendrik Bunke
>> http://www.hbxt.org
>> http://twitter.com/hbunke

Liip AG  // Limmatstrasse 183 //  CH-8005 Zürich
Tel +41 43 500 39 80 // GnuPG 0x7B588C67 // www.liip.ch