[ckan-dev] Developer Environment for Developing CKAN Plugins

Nathan Hook nhook at ucar.edu
Mon Oct 3 16:51:37 UTC 2016

Good Day,

We are going to start doing a reasonable amount of development on some
customization of CKAN via plugins.

Are there any CKAN developer recommendations, hints, tips and/or tricks
that people use when developing plugins for CKAN?

Things that we are specifically looking for help on are the following:

Recommendations on how to do development in an IDE (like PyCharm) and
move/deploy our code to a remote Vagrant VM (where we will have development
instance of ckan running).

How does debugging work in a remote Vagrant VM instance with WSGI? Does
anyone do remote debugging with an IDE (like PyCharm) and WSGI?

Then in general how do most CKAN developers do their programming? Do they
use Vi? Do they do development in ckan on their local machine? Do they use
remote VMs (like with Vagrant/VirtualBox)?

We have tried looking for how anyone does CKAN plugin development and we
have not been able to find any useful information at this time and any
friendly recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I have also posted this same email/post to Stackoverflow:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/39779531/developer-environment-for-developing-ckan-plugins

Thank you for your time,

Nathan