[ckan-dev] CKAN docker image

Serban Teodorescu teodorescu.serban at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 21:10:49 UTC 2016

@Ivan:

Our (older) docker-compose setup is here
https://bitbucket.org/teodorescuserban/hdx-install
Our (older) docker images building related files are here:
https://bitbucket.org/teodorescuserban/hdx-dockers - just ignore the ones
not obviously related to ckan.

@John:
Not sure why that reply, but this gives me the opportunity to ask the
following (because you mentioned scale out): can ckan containers scale? I
mean to ask if currently is any known feature or process that would prevent
a consistency among multiple ckan instances (e.g. containers)?
No, you dont need any PaaS, IaaS, FOSS; volume / data persistence is a core
feature of Docker itself, you dont need swarm for that either. You don’t
need scheduling.
You can roll out production without those and add them gradually.
There ought to be ckan installations in the middle between a test vagrant
vm and the scale of things you described.

I think this could become a nice talk about getting away from the old model
where a machine should have all services crammed together (see paster how
it tries to sudo -u postgres for example).

Kind regards,

În joi, 13 oct. 2016 la 23:45, John Jediny - TAA <john.jediny at gsa.gov> a
scris:

> A pure docker deployment isn't practical for production use; you need a
> Docker Platform as a Service (PaaS) the core FOSS frameworks out there are
> Docker Swarm, Kubernetes, and Mesos. Those handle things like sharing
> cpu/memory across multiple hosts, applying their own networking,
> volume/data persistance (in ckan without this solr/postgres will lose all
> state/data), scheduling containers is the biggest concern being in how you
> scale out and/or roll out upgrades but yet  still mount to the existing
> volume, load balancing, external DNS/SSl, and discovery of all those
> dynamic containers.
>
> Point being let's not confuse Docker with being the end all be all
>
> On Oct 13, 2016 2:08 PM, "Julio Acuña" <julio.acuna.carrillo at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> We also build our own Dockerfiles for the CKAN instance at datos.gob.mx
>
> Here they are if you want to check them out.
> https://github.com/mxabierto/dockerfile/tree/master/ckan
>
> Regards,
> Julio
>
> On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 8:46 AM, Angelos Tzotsos <gcpp.kalxas at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> You can find dockerfiles that are used in data.gov here:
> https://github.com/GSA/catalog-app
>
> Cheers,
> Angelos
>

> On 10/11/2016 12:32 PM, Ivan Ermilov wrote:
>
> Hello everyone!
>
> I've been looking into deploying CKAN using docker image recently and I did
> not find anything which would work for myself as I want it to. Therefore, I
> created docker image myself. See the repository here [1].
> What I want to do by this post is to raise a discussion about best
> practices for deploying CKAN using docker.
> I did not encounter any major issues myself (which I could not solve).
> However, if someone got a story about being not able to deploy CKAN using
> docker and what was the issue in the particular case, I would like to hear
> the concerns.
>
> [1] https://github.com/earthquakesan/docker-ckan-hobbit
>
> Kind regards,
> Ivan Ermilov.