[ckan-dev] Hierarchical folder structure for a dataset

Steven De Costa steven.decosta at linkdigital.com.au
Wed Aug 9 07:17:38 UTC 2017

Hi Prashant,

Not sure if this will help with your specific use case but we dealt with a
similar requirement on data.gov.au. We allow custodians to upload zip files
for data where they wish to retain the folder structure and additional
context this provides.

End users can then download the zip file if they want the full context.

We also setup a zip file resource view
https://github.com/datagovau/ckanext-zippreview
This allows end user to visually see the folder structure without
downloading the actual zip file.

Then, we also have a zip 'extractor' running which has the job of
extracting interesting resources from Zip files and adding these to the
same dataset as the zip file resource. ref:
https://github.com/datagovau/ckanext-datagovau/blob/master/admin/zip-extract.py

If you have a standard set of resources for datasets, or a logical way to
recognise where resources should sit in a folder structure, then it is
relatively easy to create a zip archive to package up all resources into
the structure you want and provide this to users for download.

Cheers,
Steven

*STEVEN DE COSTA *|
*EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR*www.linkdigital.com.au

Want to be updated with news from Link Digital? Sign up
<http://linkdigital.com.au/content/newsletter> to receive our Newsletter!