[ckan-dev] Why is tracking summary no longer stored in solr ?

Alex Gartner alexandru.gartner+ckan at gmail.com
Tue Jun 27 23:38:17 UTC 2017

Hello,

I saw that in newer versions of CKAN the *tracking summary *is no longer
pushed to solr. Even more, this is discouraged by both comments and code (
https://github.com/ckan/ckan/blob/a5408647c18bcc3a6317a8c83cfb37c72068e90c/ckan/lib/search/index.py#L107
).
In other words, the code in the link above, removes any tracking summary
information that might've been returned by package_show() *because the
values in solr might get old.*

On the other hand, the *paster tracking update* command seems to be
updating solr:
https://github.com/ckan/ckan/blob/a5408647c18bcc3a6317a8c83cfb37c72068e90c/ckan/lib/cli.py#L1142

So it seems I'm missing something but not sure what ?
And in conclusion, is it a bad idea to store the tracking info in solr  ?
It surely makes life easy to get this information via a simple
package_search().

Thank you,
Alex Gartner