[ckan-dev] Offering the same resource in multiple file formats

Florian.Brucker at it.karlsruhe.de Florian.Brucker at it.karlsruhe.de
Tue Mar 7 13:39:55 UTC 2017

> It would be pretty easy to build XLSX output on
> https://github.com/ckan/ckan/pull/3390 and you can already use this to
> generate Excel-compatible CSVs with the bom=true parameter. Maybe it's
> time to add a plugin interface to allow these formats to be extended
> by plugins.

Great idea! That would be a really nice way to do  the actual conversion,
since it would lead to consistent results (no separate import/export
logic). And a plugin-interface for custom datastore export formats would
be really nice, too.

That still leaves the question on how to offer this separate format to the
users. For example, if one wanted to create separate XSLX-copies of
CSV-resources then these need to be created and kept in sync. Any ideas
for that or for other UI approaches?

Regards,
Florian

"ckan-dev" <ckan-dev-bounces at lists.okfn.org> schrieb am 07.03.2017
14:30:49:

> Von: Ian Ward <ian at excess.org>
> An: CKAN Development Discussions <ckan-dev at lists.okfn.org>,
> Datum: 07.03.2017 14:31
> Betreff: Re: [ckan-dev] Offering the same resource in multiple file
formats
> Gesendet von: "ckan-dev" <ckan-dev-bounces at lists.okfn.org>
>
> It would be pretty easy to build XLSX output on
> https://github.com/ckan/ckan/pull/3390 and you can already use this to
> generate Excel-compatible CSVs with the bom=true parameter. Maybe it's
> time to add a plugin interface to allow these formats to be extended
> by plugins.
>
> On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 8:19 AM,  <Florian.Brucker at it.karlsruhe.de>
wrote:
> > Hi everybody,
> >
> > I often would like to offer the same resource in multiple file
formats. For
> > example, Excel's auto-import for CSV is rather broken, so instead of
> > mangling all our CSV-files to suit Excel's needs I'd rather just offer
> > XSLX-files of the same data in addition to "standard"-compliant
CSV-files