[ckan-dev] What would you remove from CKAN core and why?

Kevin Brochet-Nguyen kevin at viderum.com
Tue Jul 24 07:41:16 UTC 2018

I'll go first: we should strip out the tracking middleware and also
remove ckanext-stats. No more tracking or stats in CKAN core.

Why? Analytics doesn't belong in CKAN core and if someone needs
analytics, they can get better results from a dedicated analytics
application or service.

Right now, if someone asks "Does CKAN show usage stats?" the answer is
"Well, sort of, but only in certain cases, and not for API or M2M usage,
and there's no dashboard...well, there is a stats dashboard, but it's
actually something different, and...well, maybe you should use the
Google analytics extension...but that doesn't do everything you want
either, so..."

The answer to that question should just be "No." And that's not to say
users shouldn't have access to analytics. They should just get them from
some other plugin or service that really specializes in analytics.
They'll get better results, developers who do want to focus on
CKAN-related analytics will have more motivation to make polished
plugins, and we as a community will have more time to devote to features
that only CKAN can provide.

So what do you think CKAN core would be better off without?

-Kevin

On 23.07.2018 18:00, Kevin Brochet-Nguyen wrote:

> Hi fellow devs, contributors, and users,
>
> If you could remove any feature from CKAN core, what would you remove?
> What code just doesn't belong in CKAN core? What is CKAN trying to do
> that it just shouldn't do? ...and why?
>
> Why am I asking?
>
> We're transitioning to Python 3 and Flask. We're modernizing and
> refactoring. And maybe there are some things that we just shouldn't
> take with us when we cross the threshold.
>
> Maybe we can save ourselves a lot of work and at the same time build a
> /better/ application if CKAN just does /less/.
>
> So what would you remove, if you could remove anything?
>
> Rules of the game:
> - You can remove any feature or functionality you want.
> - You can put the deleted feature or functionality into a separate
> plugin or service outside of CKAN core if you want to.
> - But you don't have to—you can also just remove it and let the
> community find a new (and probably better solution).
>
> - Kevin
>
> --
> Kevin Brochet-Nguyen
> CKAN developer @ Viderum GmbH
> NextGEOSS Data Hub developer

Kevin Brochet-Nguyen
Sofware Developer

Viderum – ein Unternehmen der Open Knowledge Foundation
http://www.viderum.de/  |  @videruminc

Viderum GmbH
Marchlewskistr. 101
10243 Berlin

Eingetragen beim Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, Registernummer HRB 176512 B
Geschäftsführer: Sebastian Moleski