[ckan-discuss] Calling license URL

David Read david.read at okfn.org
Sat Apr 10 11:37:19 BST 2010

CKAN now gets its licenses from a centralised license server so you
can get the URLs from here too.

John, is there some documentation about the license service that we
can put into the CKAN docs? There's only the initial specs, ticket and
a brief readme that I know about ( /doc which gets built to
http://knowledgeforge.net/ckan/doc/ckan/ )

In the meantime Lauren, here's what you need: CKAN is setup to access
the license server by a URL in the ckan config file, in your case
ca.ckan.net.ini:
http://licenses.opendefinition.org/2.0/ckan_canada

So you can convert 'canada-crown' (which is how it's stored in the
package) to the human readable version 'Canadian Crown Copyright'. And
all the license properties like openness and URL are given here too.
It's in JSON format.

Currently CKAN checks this URL when the vhost is started - usually
when apache is restarted, so I suggest you do something along these
lines.

Hope that helps,
David