[ckan-discuss] Calling license URL

John Bywater john.bywater at appropriatesoftware.net
Sat Apr 10 13:51:58 BST 2010

David Read wrote:
> CKAN now gets its licenses from a centralised license server so you
> can get the URLs from here too.
>
> John, is there some documentation about the license service that we
> can put into the CKAN docs? There's only the initial specs, ticket and
> a brief readme that I know about ( /doc which gets built to
> http://knowledgeforge.net/ckan/doc/ckan/ )

We don't have a "Licenses Service Guide". But there is a Service Level
Agreement with an accompanying Specification of Service. :-)

Licenses Service - Service Level Agreement:
http://knowledgeforge.net/okfn/tasks/wiki/LicensesServiceLevelTwo

Licenses Service - Specification of Service:
http://knowledgeforge.net/okfn/tasks/wiki/LicensesServiceVersionTwo

Also...

> In the meantime Lauren, here's what you need: CKAN is setup to access
> the license server by a URL in the ckan config file, in your case
> ca.ckan.net.ini:
> http://licenses.opendefinition.org/2.0/ckan_canada
>
> So you can convert 'canada-crown' (which is how it's stored in the
> package) to the human readable version 'Canadian Crown Copyright'. And
> all the license properties like openness and URL are given here too.
> It's in JSON format.
>
> Currently CKAN checks this URL when the vhost is started - usually
> when apache is restarted, so I suggest you do something along these
> lines.

...thinking about this again, I propose presenting the CKAN licenses in
the CKAN REST API. That would be good service-oriented architecture. It
would make lots of sense for clients of a CKAN REST API, because they
wouldn't need to integrate a second interface. It would make lots of
sense for providers of a CKAN REST API, because they wouldn't need to
worry about client dependencies when e.g. changing licenses service.

We could present them in the standard way (register + entities), or as a
single group (like the licenses service), or both?

So Lauren, I also suggest you pull the license entities as a group from
the license service, as David indicated. Then, at some point, we will
present the licenses group in the CKAN REST API. After that, you could
convert your system by simply changing one URL. Then you could forget
about the licenses service. :-)

Best wishes,

John.