[ckan-discuss] How to allow public access to a newly added package?

Seven (aka Arnulf) seven at arnulf.us
Fri Dec 10 16:53:37 GMT 2010

Friedrich Lindenberg wrote:
> Hi Arnulf,
>
> On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 12:20 PM, Seven (aka Arnulf) <seven at arnulf.us> wrote:
>> After adding a new package http://ckan.net/package/postal-codes-de it
>> can be found by anonymous users for example:
>> http://ckan.net/revision/read/2c1f8618-9452-43f0-bd8e-c44eb75c8c80
>
> I note that you somehow managed to create this package with it's state
> set to "None" instead of "active", which is a bug that keeps recurring
> at irregular intervals and we haven't been able to track it down yet.
> Effectively, this means that you created a deleted package. Could you
> perhaps describe your environment (Browser version, JS on/off, even OS
> FWIW)?

Chrome 8.0.552.215, JS on, Ubuntu 9.10 (German locale), tested with FF
3.6.12 without logging in. First thing I ever did was to create my user
(after reading that it helps to create an alias), then added the new
data package. Straight forward, nothing strange noticed.

>> But the dataset itself cannot be accessed, instead visitors are
>> redirected to the login page. This is a bit odd and I can see that other
>> packages can also be seen by visitors. How can I change this?
>
> You couldn't have, as setting state is intended to be an admin-only activity.
>
> Fixed now: http://ckan.net/revision/diff/postal-codes-de?diff_entity=package&oldid=285ac33e-952d-4a88-b19c-baa27219c0df&diff=ad086e63-ff9d-49f3-a724-e269df810e7e

Great thanks.

> Btw, thanks so much for this package, this is exactly what I was
> searching for yesterday evening for an hour! Data catalogue FTW! You
> don't happen to have polygons for Berlin/StatBB statistical units as
> well, do you?

Nope. Unfortunately not. I checked again and it seems that in Germany
they are proprietary, I cannot believe it...

Arnulf.