[ckan-discuss] RDF for data catalogues (was: Re: Universal distributed open government data catalog?)

Peter Krantz peter.krantz at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 15:25:56 GMT 2010

(Sorry if this is getting slightly off-topic on the eGov IG list, but
I believe there are people here who are interested.)

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 15:03, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> wrote:

> Great stuff Peter. For comparison, here's an example of what you get
> from ckan.net + semantic.ckan.net:
>
> http://pastie.org/830693

Great! Now we can do some harmonization work! Some questions:

You use scovo:Dataset. As I interpret the scovo definition of Dataset
[1] these are only supposed to be statistical datasets?

Categorisation is expressed with doap:category. The definition of
doap:category [2] suggests that it is the "category of a project" (and
has rdfs:domain doap:project) which may seem inconsistent when dealing
with datasets?

[1]: http://sw.joanneum.at/scovo/schema.html#c-Dataset
[2]: http://usefulinc.com/ns/doap#category

> At the moment we redirect into semantic.ckan.net from ckan.net via a
> rel=alternative and 303 on the Accept header, e.g try out:

God feedback, I should do that too.

> Maybe it would be worth getting together for half-an-hour on skype and
> etherpad to work on hammering out a shared ontology here? I also know
> the people from DERI (Richard Cyganiak especially) are working on this
> so we should talk with them.

I CC:ed him in this email. I am swamped with work next week and will
be in Avignon throughout March with limited connectivity. I'll get
back to you as soon as I'm back.

>> Please note that the feed contains datasets that are not (yet) open.
>> Some may have a commercial license and may not be available on the
>> web.
>
> That's also true for us ;)

But your front page says "CKAN is a registry of _open_ data and
content packages."? Anyways, that was good to know because then I'll
try to make sure you can get all the swedish datasets I have found.

Regards,

Peter