[ckan-discuss] ugly OpenIDs

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri Jun 11 11:44:49 BST 2010

On 10 June 2010 14:45, William Waites <william.waites at okfn.org> wrote:
> On 10-06-10 14:37, Stefano Costa wrote:
>> I can see no CKAN username - in fact I didn't specify one when first
>> using ckan.net.
>>

> In fact, I encountered this myself when I retired my openid
> provider and used my google account to log in. There should
> be a simple ckan username and the ability to associate one
> or more openid URLs to it I would think.

I agree this is something that we should do and we already have a
ticket (from several months ago):

<http://knowledgeforge.net/ckan/trac/ticket/142>

It's a pretty easy fix -- just not one that has been given enough
priority (yet!). Some questions I have on that ticket:

* Should usernames be unique (I assume yes, but not completely
necessary since we aren't using them for login)
* Should they be used around the site (a definite yes)
* How do we make users aware they can set their username? (Maybe some
option after you first login ...?)

I note this is related, but distinct, to pulling information from
openid service which John mentions (this is a separate operation and
is more likely to be giving us something like an email).