[ckan-discuss] Search by "Extras" field

David Read david.read at okfn.org
Tue Mar 9 20:15:49 GMT 2010

The simplest way to do this is with the search API. You can do
something like this:

http://ckan.net/api/search/package?department=Her+Majesty's+Treasury

The docs ( http://knowledgeforge.net/ckan/doc/ckan/api.html ) show
that 'department' is in a small hard-coded list of extra fields that
are indexed in the search and accessible through the API. So as it is
right now, 'ministry' won't work in this way, because we've not needed
this flexibility up until now.

It might make sense to have this list configurable in the config file.
Alternatively we could just index all extra fields and when parsing
the search query, if the key isn't one of the known fields or search
commands then search the extra fields for it. Perhaps it would be best
to allow key prefixed with 'extra-', giving
"?extra-ministry=Treasury". Rufus, what do you think?

David